The Suffering Grace of Nick Cave

 

For awhile now I've been reading Nick Cave's Red Hand Files. When I came across them, (thanks to one of my favorite podcasts The Mockingcast. You can gain some backstory about Nick Cave around the 51 minute mark) I was sort of blown away by his humble yet to the point, very gracious responses to questions his fans write in. Some of the questions are funny. Like, "Who do you want to win Love Island?" Nick Cave watches Love Island???

And some are desperate yet common. "What is the point in life?"

The latest question a fan asks had me reading in wonder. The audacity! How could someone be so close-minded? Selfish! Controlling! How is Nick Cave going to answer this guy? The question reads like this:

"I recently learned that there is a sitting Supreme Court Justice, here in the United States, who is a fan of a musician I love. This musician has passed. 

The Justice, in my opinion, is dangerous to this country, and holds views I abhor.

I firmly believe, through public knowledge of this artist, that he was not supportive of this Justice either. I feel like this man, whom I loathe, is singing along and dancing to music that wasn't created for him. Funnily enough, it feels like a real injustice.

Do you believe your music is created for everyone? Are you OK with the idea that people you might genuinely see as despicable, are fans of yours? 

How do you feel about the fact that they listen to the music and words that you work so hard on, that you put all your soul into, and claim a personal ownership of it? Does it feel like a betrayal of the art you toiled over?

Thanks so much for the music."


You can read Nick's full answer here: https://www.theredhandfiles.com/music-is-created-for-everyone/.

What I love most about his answer is that he sees music as a gift, much like grace. His own talent and craft, offered to all of us undeserving souls. The minute we try to say no, you can't have it, is the minute the music diminishes, becoming a faint echo of it's true intention and beauty. 

"I guess, in general, I don't find people despicable or deserving of hatred and contempt because, as far as I can see, people suffer, and it is suffering that is the underlying cause for much of the wrongdoing in the world. Suffering lies beneath our most destructive behavior. This is why music is important. Music at it's very essence is a force for good. It has an inherent moral magnitude. At it's core, music has the capacity to improve matters, to reform the condition of the heart by appealing to the better angels of our nature. This is it's rightful and sacred duty. Music makes us do better. Be better. It helps release us of our suffering and points us to the good."

This is a compassionate man. One who has suffered deeply. I'm struck how he ends the letter, "Justin, it's good to have you with us." He doesn't condemn him or belittle him. He speaks right to Justin's need to belong, all the while showing him, that everyone wants to belong. And I suppose if you don't want to belong in the same capacity of others whom you "loath" well, you have that choice too. Sometimes we can't stomach someone else receiving the same gift we love because the wound is too deep. And sometimes people just need someone to oppose.

Philip Yancey writes of his brother towards the end of his memoir Where the Light Fell, "To this day he fights against a mother with whom he has no contact and against a God whose existence he denies. He attends what he calls an "atheist church," a Sunday assembly of humanists who expend much of their energy opposing a God they don't believe in...The wounds of faith embed like permanent tattoos. "Do you think he will ever change?" friends ask me, and I have to answer no. It is never too late for grace and forgiveness -- unless a person determines it is."

That's the beautiful offense of grace. It's there for everyone, unless you don't want it. Nick Cave isn't forcing his music on anyone and neither is he limiting it.

Jesus isn't forcing his love on any of us, and neither is He limiting it.

Within American Christianity now, people want to clarify what kind of Christian they are. Conservative. Liberal. Progressive. Fundamental. As if to say, I need to know who my people are. Last I checked, Jesus didn't need a modifier. 

Into Christ's arms we have a place to go in our suffering. Maybe we'd be better off listening to a little more of Nick Cave.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look into the sun as the new days rise

more work (and play) of summer

Deep and Wide / Crevice