Day 31: To Pay Attention: Our Most Important Work

 


I read kind of a funny and sad quote recently that said something like, "the difference between Christmas for a child and an adult is you're so well-behaved when you're curled up on the couch reading a book, but do that as an adult and you're just rude and anti-social."

I've been having a hard time with this assignment because, like most of us, it's really hard to remember what made me come alive as a child. The expectations for adults is very different than for a child...for good reason. But what happens when all those messages of growing up and making good choices and being responsible come at the cost of a lost imagination? 

As a child, music and melodies would ignite entire worlds into my imagination. Flying and soaring, dancing on keys, playing out all sorts of emotions. 

Now, when I sit down at the piano, it takes awhile for the dust to settle. Eventually I find her, that little Janell who just wanted everybody to get along. As I play the notes, some of the tension is still there and some is resolved, and bits of imagination come back and remind me of what's possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look into the sun as the new days rise

more work (and play) of summer

Deep and Wide / Crevice