Deep and Wide / Crevice

"Deep & Wide" Winter. 2017

We've had our second official m family come and go. They came in like a whirlwind, so excited to have a place to call "home" for 1 1/2 months. Kris and Stephanie and their two lovely daughters, Adalia and Indira (Adi and Indi) immediately made us feel at home in our own house!
The first night I came home from work to find both the girls hiding from me. I immediately thought, they don't even know me and these girls already want to play? What kind of girls are these? I turned the corner to find them "hiding" on our stairs. They were so excited that their pajamas matched the varying shades of blue, green and gray on our stairs that they were lying on them, trying to blend in. Their laughter was contagious and immediately had me laughing, getting me out of my post-work slump.
Kris would make us coffee in the mornings, even though he was not a fan of our coffee tastes. We would endearingly tease him back for his love of burnt coffee. He also made us a Sri Lankan meal, full of spice and flavors I've never tasted before. I loved it. And I loved receiving a small gift of where he grew up.
Stephanie and Kris would tell us stories from their hostel in China, the Zhilam Hostel, located in Kangding, the "gateway to Tibet." "Zhilam" is a Tibetan word meaning, "the path of peace." These stories reflected the beauty and the heartache of the Tibetan people, the darkness and misguided hope of their death rituals, and the joy in coming alongside these beautiful people. There are people from all over the world coming through their hostel, seeking refuge and a place to rest.

"Crevice" Winter. 2019

I logged on here today to find the above writings. A memory waiting to remind me of who I am. Who we are in this house. I've wrestled with this house. Unsure what it's form and function are now as we've bent  and cracked along with it the past 2 years. Another boy has been born and brought into this house. My brother continues to bring depth and growth and laughter to these walls. Friends and Family come and eat and rest their heads for awhile.

Sometimes I'm granted a birds eye view of our life. I catch my breath at the grandiosity of it then sink back into the mundane of the moment.
I'm constantly reminding myself that this present moment isn't mundane. It's full of life. Reflecting on these walls, building layers of stories and memories. I'd like this blog to continue to tell the stories of this house, how I see it. I have a lot of musings on theology, music, Grace and Law, hospitality, food...Will you join me in my writings? I'm ready to see what's around the corner now.


Comments

  1. keep writing! can't wait <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU BET I WILL JOIN YOU! Keep writing. I love it all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Look into the sun as the new days rise

more work (and play) of summer

Kitchen Apocalypse 2012