Day 22: Photographs as Anchors of Hope and Remembrance

 


"When everything is dark, when we are surrounded by despairing voices, when we do not see any exits, then we can find salvation in a remembered love, a love that is not simply a wistful recollection of a bygone past but a living force that sustains us in the present. Through memory, love transcends the limits of time and offers hope at any moment in our lives."

- Henri Nouwen


"So your story does have a happy ending?"
"Well that's up to you. The story's yours now."
- Life of Pi



REACHING


Rewind, replay
This mixtape in my mind.
Circle back, toss and turn
until I am devoured by my own addictive viscous cycle.
Somebody has to win this argument,
right?
I'm right, you're wrong.
Why did I step foot in this dichotomous arena?
Somebody has to lose. Those are the rules.
Somebody has to die.
These memories become my present, which becomes my future.
I yearn for them to stop. 
There is no peace.
Where is God in all of this?
Where was His loving presence that His Word speaks of?
He was there, I just didn't notice Him.
I remember what was.
My memory no longer haunts me.
He pulled up a chair quietly, 
filling up the space between me and my
"opponent."
His gaze caught mine, my body softening, my mouth stopping.
He released me of my need to be right and said, 
it's ok, I can take it.
He softly tries to get the other's attention,
words spin confusion around the table.
He doesn't let go.
He doesn't let go
so that I can.
My memories were watered by His loving presence. 
His compassion for me became my own for myself 
and for my neighbor.
My tortured mixtapes became infused with Love.
Both memories are true.
And Love releases me to be
and let the other be too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look into the sun as the new days rise

more work (and play) of summer

Kitchen Apocalypse 2012