Day 20: Portraits That Make Change in the World

















 Today's creative prompt is inspired by the iconic image of the Migrant Mother by Dorothea Lange.


The story behind this image you can find here: 



I am blown away by Dorothea's assertiveness and trust in her own calling. I'm convicted and inspired by it. 


"Next time you have an instinct to turn around, listen to it."

Next time I want to bury my talents, hold them tight before I fall asleep and forget them six feet under.
May I learn to catch those fireflies and release them for the beauty of the world.
May I be ok with not knowing the big picture. I don't need a reason. I need peace.
May I be satisfied with the manna that God gives me today, knowing that new manna will come tomorrow.
May I scoot up close in the abundance of Christ, knowing that all is made new in Him.
May I take that picture, ask the question, look in their eyes, hold their hand, soften my ears and heart, and remove my shoes again and again, for this is holy work.

(This is a portrait of two dear friends hands, in an intimate moment a few years back. I think of it often. The assurance of it, the strength, the vulnerability of compassion. 
I've been listening to a still small voice for awhile now, hoping to soon apply to a program to become a spiritual director. Of course this journey has taken longer than I thought, but in the meantime, none of the in-between is wasted).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look into the sun as the new days rise

more work (and play) of summer

Kitchen Apocalypse 2012