Day 14: Scars That Anchor Us to Beauty and Truth

 


"Scars become our body's most intimate invitations."

 - Christy Angelle Bauman



My left foot has a scar on it from when I was 6. It's barely visible now. The story involves bare feet, a summer day and a very sharp stick. I think you can imagine the rest of the story from there.
It's funny, as I sit and look at this picture of my feet, more scars are becoming visible. It's like this part of my body is inviting me to look. 
The scar on my left foot, between my toes, honestly reminds me of my parents. My dad is really great when it's comes to crises and my mom is very compassionate. I think my emotional wound underneath that scar is that some of my childhood innocence was lost that day. 
And then 20 years later, i started running marathons. I had lost two friends due to a very toxic cycle of co-dependancy. And there was alot of scar tissue involved - some of it brought on by my own hurt and the knowledge that I had hurt someone else.
I ended up running 3 marathons,  1 half and a couple triathlons.  The scars of losing who I thought I was lead me to run. In running I found myself again. My body and my mind and heart processed it all out there on the street and trails. I've got a couple new toenails to memorialize it. 

And then there's even the scarring here on the hardwood floor. The house we live in has alot of wounded stories and memories. But within these walls lies a story unfolding with new life.  A story we are co-creating with God. 
I used to think I had to hide my wounds, but did Jesus hide his? I'm comforted that even in His resurrected body his wounds are still there. His side, his feet, his hands, his back, his head...his very wounded presence is an invitation. 
What a grace it is that even in my small and big scars, there is invitation to be known.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look into the sun as the new days rise

more work (and play) of summer

Kitchen Apocalypse 2012