Day 3: Anne Lamott and Everything She Knows For Sure

 


"We're a mixed grill of happy anticipation and dread."
This is what floated to the surface of my mind after sitting with Anne Lamott this morning.*
Well that, and Gift Of Desperation is a great acronym for God.
I honestly had a really hard time with this assignment. I still am...wondering if this is the photo that I want to present, overthinking it all, again. Thinking it needs to be something perfect all wrapped up and contained.
Maybe it's because all of life really is a paradox. Life and death, give and take away, light and darkness, joy and sorrow, within and without, now and not yet.
Man it's a hard road to walk. 
It's only day 3 of this class and I'm already questioning myself. Am I really going to create something again tomorrow? And again, for the next 30 days???
But in my trivial desperation, God reminded me to turn around and remember a moment from last summer. 
The Portland Art Museum is a place I go often to clear my head. I stood there and basked in the light that was almost too bright from the bottom of the stairs.

The way up is down.

Yes of course there's more to create! 
I give thanks for the manna that was given to me then and today, knowing in faith that tomorrow there will be just enough to satisfy.

This I know for sure.


*our assignment was to watch Anne Lamott's TED talk on 12 things she knows for sure, which gloriously sums up the human experience. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look into the sun as the new days rise

more work (and play) of summer

Kitchen Apocalypse 2012