November Reflection

December is upon us. For the most part, here in the NW, it's been clear, cold and sunny. A welcome alternative to the soggy rains we usually get. How was your November? Let's see...we had an election, and a Thanksgiving holiday to figure out how to celebrate in a Pandemic.  How hard it can be to find the light in these Shadowlands we live in. How hard it can be to keep myself tethered to Jesus when the shadows dance around me, pulling and shouting, begging me to care, to give a damn. My old, false self is tickled but my new, true self quietly reminds me to remain in the Spirit, bearing it's fruit. 

I guess I sort of answered my first reflection question: Where did I see the hand of God moving in the midst of the shadows? (Thank for inspiring me Tsh Oxenreider with your beautiful Advent book!


You might have seen this image before. It strikes me every time. What strikes me most is it's perspective. It's creator, Everett Patterson writes, "I chose very, very wide vanishing points. The result is what I occasionally call ‘middle-class white people perspective.’ Rather than feeling immersed in the scene, the viewer is looking at it as if from across the street or from the warmth and safety of his or her passing car. I have a small hope that this Christmas image will come to mind when we see other “down and out” people huddling outside of gas stations, reminding us that our Savior’s parents (and indeed, Jesus himself) were at one time similarly troubled.”

As we move closer and closer to the Source of light, we can see the shadows for what they are, an implication of light!

May I move further away from the shadows of fear and self-protection, and closer to the Light that gives way to hope, peace, joy and love. 


What brought me joy in November?

  • Amos turned 5! Here's a typical photo of him on his birthday with Nathanael




















  • The sound of people laughing, music, a good stiff drink, the clanking of dishes, a conversation that bonds and brings perspective, and a brother to share it with. 











  • More joy and light waiting to be found in the darkness











  • Seeing the boys be downright giddy to decorate the tree











  • And maybe this next one seems all the more poignant given our times, but i came across this old video of my brother at a Portland Timbers game. Look at the unity! The excitement! All those people! God, let it be soon.


What word am I dwelling on going into December?

Peace

As one who is inclined to peace-making, I want to lean more into peace-keeping. What is mine to resolve? What is mine to fix? Not everything!

I have found some comfort in reading poetry lately. This one by Luci Shaw brought me some peace, reminding yet again that the only solid ground available to me is Christ, ever generous in His gift.

How?

How shall we sing the Lord's songs
in a strange land? The old rhythms,
the melodies of praise, strangle
in our throats and the words
fall to the ground like leaves in autumn.
The air thickens with suspicion and doubt
and who's to say, anymore, what
is true enough to last, to prevail?

Isolation feels like a punishment
for offenses we never performed.

Let us trust, now, the ground under
our feet--that which has proven steady
for generations. Look up. The heavens
are still there, unclouded, beatific.
We breathe, even though masks clothe
our faces. Prayer surrounds us, close
as our skin, weaving for us garments of
trust and solace. Even in our isolation
we are joined in love, never alone.

Thanks be to God.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look into the sun as the new days rise

more work (and play) of summer

Kitchen Apocalypse 2012