Induce my divergence from house stuff, if you would.

This past year, I have found in myself a fresh, and at times overwhelming, desire to explore. This wanderlust is primarily towards the outdoors, but I am finding that I am motivated to new discoveries, adventures, and experiences as almost never before. The house is a direct result of this new push, as is moving to a new town, with a new job, and really a new way of life.
I initially decided to get more active with my desire to be outdoors by going camping in my new tacoma, driving out alone onto forest service roads near Detroit lake and camping roadside. Amy joined me and made the adventures all the more fulfilling, though there was something deeply wonderful about being out alone in the cold in a mostly isolated, and completely unexplored place.
I initially saw this as a personal quest to become more forceful, more confident, more true to my own desires. You see, I am a painfully passive person when it comes to asserting my will, and too often appease others when my own course of action may be fully legitimate. Being my own person seemed as important to being a giving, loving, equal partner with Ames as anything else I could do.
I am now on an airplane flying over Nebraska, en route to Minnesota and eventually Iowa, and I am reading a book about an explorer named Percy Fawcett who disappeared into the Amazon while searching for the fabled "lost city of z". Something the author noted while relating his search for liking shoes really stuck out to me, and inspired this slightly off-topic blog post.
"Exploration... no longer seemed aimed at some outward discovery; rather, it was directed inward, to what guidebook and brochures called "camping and wilderness therapy" and "personal growth through adventure."
Today, in our discovered world, we now search for kingdoms within. Whereas in ages past explorers went for reasons of king, country, family or church, our adventures set out to expand the horizons inside our own hearts.
Am I buying amd working on this house, camping, exploring, to map the contours of my internal geography? Do I have something outside myself important enough to stake claim to unseen land? I believe I do, I believe it is more than some therapy, better than my own self-clinic.
Time to land. Portable electronic devices need to be shut off. So ends this sidetrack.

posted from Bloggeroid

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look into the sun as the new days rise

more work (and play) of summer

Kitchen Apocalypse 2012