When Strivings Cease

 


Psalm 7

Deuteronomy 10:17-21

2 Peter 3:8-11


I was listening to the news the other day after dropping my boys off at school. As I pulled into my driveway, a man from the U.S. Senate was being interviewed about our role in the war in Ukraine. His answer created a knot in my stomach.

“They need more weapons. The Ukranian freedom fighters need to win. We don't need them to lose slowly, we need them to win. They need to kill more Russians. In order to do that, we need to give them more weapons.”

He spoke so firmly, it was as if there was no other answer.

How often do we just blurt out a judgment on a situation or person? How often do I justify myself in my words and actions because I want justice now?

All the time.

I was struck by the Psalmist's inner conflict in Psalm 7. In one entire Psalm, he pours out three options to God, very aware of his own limited sense of justice. In the first part he says, “If I deserve punishment, then God let my enemies have their way.”

In the second part he says, “But if my cause is right, than let there be a courtroom and God the judge, punishing the wicked and vindicating myself.”

And in the third part he says, “Or let evil run it's course, eventually falling into the pit they've made. Their own trouble and violence recoiling and coming down on their own heads.”

All the so-called balanced, non-biased news from the world couldn't calm the Psalmist's or my heart. But you know Who can?

I pause. Be still. Quiet my scattered senses. And remember once again that God holds no partiality, and certainly will never accept a bribe. No this for that. Just myself yielding once again. No more taking out my sword and taking matters into my own hands. Jesus says, put your sword away. Have we forgotten to pray again just as the disciples did in Gethsemane?

It is here, in this moment, when I die to myself and yield to the Holy Spirit's voice within.

Defend the cause of the fatherless and widow. Love the foreigners living among you. Give them food and clothing.

As Christians, are we not also foreigners in this land? I wonder how often we miss the chance for unity, compassion and mercy in exchange for cheap, short-sighted justice? How often have I missed what's right in front of me because I'm too worried about being right? I've heard it said, "when they go low, we go high." Maybe we need to go lower. Down to the humblest of places, beneath all the noise, and there we will remember what Peter told us not to forget.

The Lord is not slow, He is patient. He doesn't want anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

When I find myself yearning for justice now, may I remember that my draw of my sword may be swift but it will leave a gaping wound for Christ to heal yet again.

When I find myself yearning for justice now, may I have the resolve to turn off the radio and the tv and the podcast and Twitter, Instagram, Tiktok, Youtube and Facebook, and the blogs, and the magazines and newspapers...

And face the silence. He is not slow, He is patient.

Face my inner conflicts. He desires none to perish.

Confess my control. Love the foreigners among you

I don't need to comprehend God. I need to trust Him. The same word that spoke the heavens and earth into being will also judge with no partiality. The scales will be balanced. The heavens and earth will be restored to a place where righteousness dwells and we can finally stop all our striving.

We can finally rest.


Father I confess my limits, help me to know my belovedness in You. 

Jesus, thank you for your compassion and mercy, help me to live as You. 

And Spirit, thank you for your comfort and conviction, help me to listen and obey. Amen.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look into the sun as the new days rise

more work (and play) of summer

Deep and Wide / Crevice