Sometimes it's like...

I turned 30 yesterday and posted my “30 while 30” list, a list of 30 things to accomplish while I am, you guessed it, 30.
19. Take a bath.
I have a super delightful cold on this day after my birth, so taking a bath sounded like a great plan for tonight. As I was cleaning the only tub in the house, the tub in the main bathroom, the bathroom right off the living room. I remembered and exclaimed (something like), “We don’t even have a plug for this thing! I totally forgot! I can’t take a bath!” and tossed the rag down in disgust. Janell, like lightning, was in the bathroom, “NO! No, no, no, no, no. You WILL take a bath!” and started looking for a plug. I went downstairs to see what I could possibly scrounge up (if you have been down there, you know there is a lot that could possibly be scrounged up). When I came up, Ben, who had been busy working on the computer (I know he was working and not playing because he had his big brown headphones on) had taken a break and become involved, rigging up some sort of plug, bless his heart. I determined that I could in fact take a bath and cross of #19, so I continued cleaning the tub. Janell brought me a wonderfully scented candle to burn that one of her piano students had given her for Christmas. She is sharing this delightful cold with me and I know she’s not feeling great, or even good for that matter, but this gem of a gal went out of her way to help me get in the tub and enjoy it. I ended up using all the hot water since I had some initial problems with the makeshift plug, and lost an inch or so of water. My dear sweet husband boiled water, not once but twice, and came and poured it in the tub for me.
Hot bath, salted water, candlelit bathroom; I closed my eyes and soaked in the quiet laughter of Jay and Janell as they watched The Office. I opened my eyes, smiled, listened, and giggled at them. Shortly after, I heard Luke reading to Debbie. He apparently found the “Amy Likes…” quiz from my big birthday bash (of which they both sadly had to miss). Debbie was rocking the answers with Luke’s additional comedic comments. I chuckled to myself.
I gathered that Luke was building a fire, which was confirmed by the smoke alarm going off. Some pleasant Christmas music was also playing and upon emerging into the living room I saw that it was a cassette in an old cassette player (Luke’s of course). The girls and Luke around the fire, writing Christmas cards, working on homework.
Sometimes it’s like… that.

Comments

  1. Indeed, you all are richly blessed! A lot of dynamics going on in that house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Look into the sun as the new days rise

more work (and play) of summer

Kitchen Apocalypse 2012